Alternative for Germany
The Alternative for Germany is a German political party that is against illegal migration. It is known in German as the Alternative für Deutschland and is abbreviated AfD.
Regional victory in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in September 2016
In the regional elections in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern on 4 September 2016, the AfD overtook Angela Merkel's party, the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands [CDU]), in number of votes. The Social Democratic Party of Germany (Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands [SPD]) had 30.9% of the votes, the AfD 20.8%, and the CDU came in third with 19%. In comparison to the 2011 elections, the SPD, the CDU, the Greens, the Left Party, and the National Democratic Party of Germany all lost votes, whereas the AfD gained votes.
Central Council of Jews
The Central Council of Jews in Germany issued a statement saying that the electoral success the AfD had in the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern election was an "Armutszeugnis für Deutschland", an "indictment of Germany". The President of the Central Council of Jews, Josef Schuster, says that "with its [the AfD's] tactic of stirring up resentment against minorities and offering slogans instead of solutions, it [the AfD] has unfortunately had success".
CSU rebrands itself as AfD light
The Christian Social Union (CSU), an anomalous party that is active only in Bavaria and has traditionally worked with the CDU, saw the AfD's electoral success in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as a "wake-up call". It subsequently began to turn itself into an AfD light and take a hard line against political Islam.
- Kate Connolly (6 February 2016). "Frauke Petry: smiling face of Germany’s resurgent right". theguardian.com. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "SPD gewinnt in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, AfD vor CDU". spiegel.de. 4 September 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Zentralrat der Juden nennt AfD-Erfolg 'Armutszeugnis für Deutschland'". yahoo.com. Agence France-Presse. 5 September 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- csu.de. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Christian Social Union". spiegel.de. 28 of February 2013. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Alex Krämer (8 September 2016). "Schärfer als die AfD". tagesschau.de. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "So verwandelt sich die CSU in eine AfD light". yahoo.com. 2 November 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2016.